Tuesday, November 30, 2010

That Time I Couchsurfed All the Way to North Carolina

Went to see one of my favorite singers, Jeffrey Foucault, along with Kris Delmhorst, at The Bellhouse in Gowanus, Brooklyn, which is a phenomenal concert venue.



Saw the new Harry Potter movie in IMAX with Shira and Nate. Now we only have to wait 6 months for the second half.

Found out that the global issues in women’s health class I helped a professor of mine put together has been approved and will be offered in the College of Nursing in the spring.

Was reminded what pure genius Sesame Street is while trying to figure out how to entertain a sick 2-year-old.


Packed up my apartment and moved out. Glad I had some help from a certain little white dog…NOT.


I am currently the best couchsurfer in New York. If you’ve got a couch that’s been feeling under-surfed recently, just let me know, I’m sure I can help you out. A shout out to Shira and Jess in particular, whose couch now has a semi-permanent Emma-shaped indentation. Thanks team!

Side note: several people have pointed out that Eskimo is on my bed in every picture I post of him. This is true, mostly. It is because the grim reality is, my bed is basically the only piece of furniture I own and certainly the only it is appropriate for a dog to lie on (he doesn’t like the bookshelf…can’t figure him out….). I live(d) in a very, very small apartment and move frequently. There just isn’t much of a point to furniture, more or less.

Finished writing a 35-page paper on why midwives are awesome and how they are integral to health care reform.

Had my last doula baby in New York. Welcome to the world, Audrey. Audrey is especially awesome because she shares her birthday with my grandmother.


Took the train to North Carolina for Thanksgiving. Now, I love trains. I’ve ridden trains all over the world (Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, India, Botswana, South Africa, Kenya, Scotland, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungry, Slovenia, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, France). Because of this, I want so badly to like Amtrak. But I don’t. My thought process on Amtrak goes something like this:

Yay! Trains! I love trains! Wait, why are we slowing down. Wow, we’re moving really slowly. Ummm, we’ve totally stopped and we’re in the middle of nowhere. [Garbled announcement…delay…freight train on single track…broken down…wait for it to be fixed….third in line to go around…].

Eventually and inevitably, my thinking deteriorates to some version of, oh no, I’m going to die old and alone on a piece of semi-derelict siding in some remote part of Virginia. Without anything else to do, I begin irritating everybody on my contact list with increasingly desperate and melodramatic text messages before throwing my hands up in despair and falling asleep, only to be awakened by my seatmate’s perpetually crinkling potato chip bag.

What I do like about Amtrak, and all train travel, is seeing an entirely different side of things. Especially in the northeast, Amtrak runs through the heart of a largely forgotten post-industrial landscape and some pretty spectacular sprawling urban blight, but also some really beautiful countryside.


That all said, it was totally worth the trip to spend Thanksgiving with my family in Beaufort (North Carolina’s third oldest city!) on the Carolina coast, where my sister is in grad school.


We wandered around the old cemetery at dusk.


Took a sunset walk around town.


 Took a sunrise walk around town.


 Figured out the best way to make the turkey taste amazing.


Ate Thanksgiving dinner.


Ate the best sandwich ever at Beaufort Grocery Company. They make their pimento cheese with gouda.  Gouda.  And then they put two kinds of meat on it. I also enjoyed the coronary bypass surgery I had to have immediately afterwards. 


Went to the beach.



Learned how I WON’T be advertising my women’s health practice someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment