Monday, February 7, 2011

First Weekend in Juba

Juba has an unbelievable number of expats from all over the world working here.  And it turns out on weekends you can just follow those expats SUVs to the fun.


In this case, the fun's at the pool. Note the giant plume of smoke from the burning trash in the distance.


And what good's a day at the pool without a cheeseburger?


And a slushie, of course.  Though my tongue went numb after I drank it, probably because it seems that after the US banned Red Dye No. 2 in 1976 because it possibly caused all sorts of terrible things (it was coal-tar based), they shipped the surplus over to South Sudan to put in the slushies at Acacia Village.


I also had dinner on the Nile--literally, on the Nile, it was a floating dock.  It was probably just as well it was too dark to see the river, but the breeze off of the river was lovely, as were the tiny kittens looking for scraps.

I'm fairly certain these perks of living in Juba will offset the 80-hour workweeks, scalding heat, and yet somehow still freezing showers that smell like raw sewage and don't rinse the shampoo out of my hair, which makes me look like I've dipped my head in Crisco, handy for reflecting off the brilliant African sunshine and catching the dust.

So happy to be back in Africa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment