Sunday, September 18, 2011

Safari, A Retrospective: Part I, Lake Nakuru

Several months ago, my darling boyfriend came all the way from Sudan to take me on safari in Kenya.  It was amazing and I couldn't wait to blog about it.  I'm not really clear what happened, because that was in July.  But it was way too amazing NOT to blog about, so I thought I would just go for it now.

We started by heading to Lake Nakuru, a soda lake about 160 kilometers from Nairobi.  It's in the Rift Valley, which Nairobi lies above and as you drive out of Nairobi you drive down a steep road with amazing views into the flat bottom of the valley. 


It's famous for its birds, especially the thousands and thousands of flamingos that line its shores and eat the algae that is abundant in the lake.  We took an evening game drive and weren't disappointed with the birds (though the smell of all those birds was less lovely).


It's a beautiful park, and we saw lots of other animals wandering around.  I'm a particular fan of rhinos.  They seem to have really funny personalities to me, and also they make me feel a little bit like I am in some prehistoric Jurassic Park-like adventure where the dinosaurs have returned.

 
I've got a soft spot for giraffes, too.  They always seems so interested in you, watching you just as hard as you watching them.  I think they look sweet and intelligent.

We made our way up to Baboon Cliff for a view of the whole lake as the sun was setting.


I was glad to see my old friends the hyraxes aka "Dassies" from South Africa.  They are the elephant's closest living relative--a bit hard to believe based on, well, anything, but apparently their bone structure is similar or something?  Never underestimate the power of evolution, I guess.


When we got back to our lodge, we found this little, or maybe not so little (sunglasses for scale) guy waiting for us on the path, pulled out by the rainstorm we'd just had.  I am always impressed by a giant slug.

 

Our lodge, Flamingo Hill Tented Camp, was beautiful and a great place to come back to after SlugFest 2011, and sunrise from our hut's veranda the next morning wasn't bad either.


After watching the sunrise, we headed out for the long drive to Masai Mara, which you'll have to read Safari, a Retrospective Part II: Masai Mara if you want to find out about.  I'm just going to say, it's totally worth it, there are lions eating a wildebeest involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment