Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Zanzibar!

What did I do last week?  Oh, you know, mapped some villages, wrote some proposals, became very familiar with the Somali Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition guidelines.

Oh.  And went to ZANZIBAR.  With KEVIN.

Did I mention I went to Zanzibar? 

Kevin had his R&R from Darfur but I wasn't due any yet.  So he flew to Nairobi and I took a two days off to go to Zanzibar for a long weekend with him.

I was in Zanzibar in 2006 with my friend Michelle as part of our great East African Backpacking Adventure, where we went overland from Kampala, Uganda back to Gaborone, Botswana where we were living at the time. We were on the $5 a day or so budget at the time, so I was looking forward to going back and eating and staying somewhere with a roof.  Just kidding. Kind of.

Kevin and I started in Stonetown, the old part of Zanzibar Town.  It was a hub of the spice trade and has amazing Swahili architecture with Indian, Moorish, Persian and European influences.  It's a warren of alleys, and you never know what you might find.  Or where you are, lots of the time.  Mostly we just wandered, ducking into a small shop sometimes or stopping for a cup of chai.


We capped off the day at Africa House...


....home of this awesome staircase....


...and the best sunsets in Stonetown.


The next day we headed up north to Kendwa, on the beach, for some relaxing and snorkeling.

Snorkeling was awesome, though I don't have any pictures to prove it.  It was pouring rain, which was interesting because underwater you didn't notice, but it was beating on my back.  We saw a sea snake, tons of giant sea slugs, butterfly fish, angel fish, and flute fish, among other things.

I don't have a lot to say about Kendwa, because other than snorkeling, this is mostly what I did.  I read two books.  Proposal writing is hard work.


This is where I did it.


I mean, really, it's so beautiful it looks made up.   I'm *fairly* certain it was real, but it might just have been a really excellent dream.  Thanks Kevin :)

1 comment: