Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Tornado Hits Brooklyn

This week I:

Saw Chris Noth (Mr. Big from Sex and the City) walking down the street by Union Square.  It would have been cooler if he hadn't been using almost exclusively cuss words.  He'd like his &$^&* deposit back, apparently.

Had a tornado.


There's a car under that tree in the last picture.

Started my triathlon training class.  I'm hoping that taking a class will compensate for the fact that I didn't get my mom's swimming genes.  I'm looking for a triathlon to do this spring, and am taking suggestions.

Saw this sticker on the guardrail of the parking lot at the White Caste, which I walk through to get to the subway from my apartment.  I don't know who the creator had in mind, but I think it works for the Marty family, too.


Visited P.S. 1, the Museum of Modern Art's cooler Queens branch.  It's, as its name suggests, in an old public school, and all the galleries are in the old classrooms, which gives it a very different vibe than most art museums. 


It also has an awesome outdoor space.


Had my first paying postpartum doula job.   It's amazing to me that the very people who should be promoting breastfeeding (pediatricians, maternity nurses) are derailing it from day 1.  We spent a lot of the time helping get mom and baby back on track after the baby had received several bottles in the hospital nursery and not received much breastfeeding support.  See?  It isn't just Africa. They'll do fine, though.

Rules of New York #437:  If you take the L train after 10 pm, especially on a weekends, there will be at least one insanely obnoxious group in your car.  Their obnoxious-ness will be directly proportional to your exhausted-ness.  An out of tune, drunken version of Lean on Me at 1 am is NOT CUTE. EVER. Especially if you've been hanging out with a newborn baby all day.  See: postpartum doula job.

Had my first Leadership clinical for school.  It's at a hospital in the boondocks of Long Island, which involves leaving my home at 4 am to get to via public transportation for 7 am report.  I think it will be worth it though, because the hospital is totally different from the Manhattan and Brooklyn hospitals I've been in so far.  The nurses are way nicer.  I'm on a cardiac care step-down unit (one step down from intensive care).

Wandered around Long Island City, Queens for my community nursing clinical project, which involves doing a community assessment for the community the clinic we are working in is located.  It's a giant and diverse neighborhood, with massive subsidized housing developments just down from condominiums with multimillion dollar units, and galleries alternating with abandoned warehouses.


Missed Africa, so dragged my friends to eat Ethiopian with me at Queen of Sheba.  Delicious, but I still miss Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment