Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why I Live in and Love Africa #154

A chance to meet an African crested rat, or Lophiomys imhausi, which the New York Times recently described as "a creature so large, flamboyantly furred and thickly helmeted it hardly seems a member of the international rat consortium. Yet it is indeed a rat, a deadly dirty rat, its superspecialized pelt permeated with potent toxins harvested from trees."

I mean, how could you NOT want to encounter one of these sweet lil' fur babies and it's "twinned flank strips of doom"?


I mean, it looks so cute....



And the best news of all?? It lives in Kenya and Somalia!

On second thought, maybe I'll hold out for a sloth, which I have been rather obsessed with ever since I saw this:



And now, thanks to Ellen DeGeneres (has anyone ever said that before?), I know I'm not alone.



I'm fairly certain that's exactly what would happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment